Stuff that happened on January 17th
Cool stuff that happened:
- 1929 - Popeye the Sailor Man, a cartoon character created by Elzie Crisler Segar, first appeared in the Comic Strip Thimble Theatre.
- 1946 - The UN Security Council holds its first session.
- 1991 - Gulf War: Operation Desert Storm began early in the morning. Iraq fires 8 Scud missiles into Israel in an unsuccessful bid to provoke Israeli retaliation.
- 1995 - A magnitude 7.3 earthquake (known as "the Great Hanshin earthquake" hits near Kobe, Japan, causing extensive property damage and killing 6,433 people.
- 1998 - Paula Jones accuses President Bill Clinton of sexual harassment.
Cool people born:
- Benjamin Franklin (1790)
- Al Capone (1899)
- James Earl Jones (1931)
- Muhammed Ali (1942)
- Jim Carrey (1962)
- Kid Rock (1971)
- Youki Kudoh (1971)
Cool people that died:
- A bunch of really old people